Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 13:30:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Julian Elischer writes:

> > 1.  I agree to act as a `registration point' for willing `lurkers'.  If you
> The one thing I've dicovered about usenet..
> Quantity counts.. many people only read a percentage of all messages.
> you need to post your request for assistants and your notice for newbies,
> once a week at least.....

I'd rather start slowly and build up when someone automates the process.
I'm very conscious of a flood of new-user requests for help and I'm only
able to make a small dint in that number on my own.  I'm really trying
to get something started since I'm sick of reading about how many more
Linux users there are, etc, etc...

> >     acknowledgement, pointing out that their commitment would be to take

> I think 'commitment' is too strong a word.. and allow them to
> back out if they think they don't know enough.....

Agreed.

> >     the bottom of the helper list and they would be automatically given
> >     the next newbie.
> not automatically...
> automatically send email asking that they volunteer....  :)

Agreed.

> helpers should be allowed to sign up to the "helper needs trainer-wheels"
> helper-helper list. :)

Very true -- I take it you're running that list :->.

> > 6.  I would try to do this `by hand' unless some scripting expert could
> >     come up with some automated scheme to handle it.
> hmm sounds like an ideal script application to me....
> The main thing I want to say is that you are going to have to make a
> LOT OF NOISE on usenet..
> people need to see this sort of thing 3 or four times before they
> repond (or volunteer)

I'm certain I'll get `snowed under' without `LOT OF NOISE' anyway.

> > Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
> > 4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.

> "don't you , just don't you worry yourself about THAT"

Only an Aussie (or someone well versed in Queensland politics) would
understand the significance of this little gem.  Don't ask me to explain
-- I flatly refuse.  Pester Julian :->.

Cheers,