Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 21:28:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        bgingery@gtcs.com, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, GNATS Management <gnats@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3657: HyperNews port submitted

On Sun, 25 May 1997, David O'Brien wrote:

> > I noticed that you submitted this with a "p5-" prefix.  Just to let you
> > know, that's for Perl 5 modules from CPAN, not just any program that uses
> > perl5 to do it's work.
>
> Any real reason for this rule?  As a ports user, I really don't care
> *where* something comes from.  I'll read the MASTER_SITES if I do.
> However, as a budding Perl hacker (well I hope) I do care if a port is
> for Perl5.

The prefix was in lieu of putting them into a separate perl5 directory.

The fact that they come from CPAN is irrelevant; the fact that they are
perl5 modules as opposed to something that uses perl5.

The best way to summarize is that ports with a p5- prefix are not
standalone programs; they are building blocks for programs written in
perl.  I would have preferred that they went into their own directory and
lost the prefix, but I lost that arguement with Satoshi a year ago and
haven't brought it up since.

--
j.