Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 06:53:31 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More panics (different hardware)

In message <20001003021722.A19069@hal9000.bsdonline.org>, Andrew J
Caines write
s:
> Jordan and list,
>
> > > As you can see I still had the mfs and fdesc mounts active. Now, after th
> > > reboot, I'm all disk. We'll see what happens after 02:00 tomorow.
> >
> > And that's the panic I'm interested in, of course... :-)
>
> It's 02:12 and periodic daily has come and gone and there was no crash.
>
> While I don't want to leap to conclusions, this is the first day there has
> been no crash just after 02:00 since September 21st.
>
> I'll leave the system as it is with no fdesc or mfs for another day, then
> add the mfs back and see what happens, unless I hear a better suggestion.

MFS will not cause you problems.  It's safe to leave it in.

FDESC has had problems in the past with panics.  I had a patch for 2.x
& 3.x that added support for pipes which fixed the panics.  4.x now has
support for pipes so the exploit to panic an unpatched FreeBSD no
longer works, though there might be something else in FDESC that might
cause the panic.

IIRC, find /mnt | xargs ls -l would cause a panic of FDESC.  Under 4.0
the following output is produced:

[snip]
?---------  0 root  wheel         0 Oct  3 06:50 0
[snip]

Adding the following to DTYPE_PIPE handling in fdesc_vnops.c might fix
this too:

                        if (fp->f_type == DTYPE_SOCKET)
                                vap->va_type = VSOCK;   /* XXX pipe? */
                        else