Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lock of struct filedesc, file, pgrp, session and sigio

On 31-May-01 David O'Brien wrote:

>> > Compiled on Alpha?
>>
>> I think that's what he means by "testing". :)  I.e., he's ready for
>> people to compile it and report problems, etc.
>
> Committers do not need Alpha users to verify that a patch compiles,
> Beast.freebsd.org can be used for that.   Testing on a running system is
> of course a different matter.

It doesn't hurt to help distribute the load some, though.  Requiring each
person who makes a change to compile it on every possible arch is not something
that will scale as more and more archs are added.  If a committer can get
someone else to perform some of these test compiles and fix any brokenness that
comes up I think that is adequate.