Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2014 17:06:42 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs upgrade hang upgrading from v3 to v5

On Jan 4, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> I'm upgrading a system from 8.3 to 9.2 using a fresh install onto a paral=
lel set of filesystems on the ZFS pool.  The system is a root on ZFS config=
uration with GPT-labeled AHCI disks.  The zpool upgrade step worked fine.  =
When I did `zfs upgrade -a` it didn't return right away, but this system is=
 a little smaller so I left it to work.
>=20
> An hour later, it's still not done.  Ctrl-T shows zfs upgrade is in tx->t=
x_sync_done_cv and using no CPU.  Normally I expect to see "runnable" and u=
sing some CPU.  I can still work in open SSH sessions, but other zfs comman=
ds hang.  New SSH logins don't work.  Console logins hang between me enteri=
ng the username and it printing the password prompt.  Even though I know th=
ere are active processes on the system, there is no disk activity.  Network=
ing is still fine--the machine acts as a router, and the LAN behind it hasn=
't loss internet access.  The unbound instance running on it is also respon=
sive, but it never touches the disk when running (it syslogs).
>=20
> Figuring it's livelocked on disk I/O, I try to reboot, but neither Contro=
l-Alt-Delete nor the power button do anything.  I ended up hard resetting t=
he system.
>=20
> The system rebooted without issue.  Zfs upgrade showed a few of the v3 fi=
lesystems had been upgraded, but most hadn't.  Upgrading filesystems one by=
 one got me most of the way there.  By dumb luck I got all the way to the b=
ase filesystem without anything hanging.  The base filesystem, however, did=
 hang.
>=20
> I read Devin Teske's messages to freebsd-fs from Sept 20, 2013 about the =
same scenario.  Interestingly, the base filesystem on this box is the only =
one that has mountpoint=3Dnone.  Later today I'll try setting a mountpoint =
on it see if the upgrade will succeed then.
>=20
> In the meantime, is this a known issue by now?  The only things I could f=
ind were the aforementioned emails from Devin, and no one answered him.

I can chime in with the ugly work-around that allowed us to migrate from v3=
 to v5.
Quite unceremoniously, we rsync'd all the data to a new v5 dataset and then
destroyed the existing v3 dataset, only to rebuild the pool from scratch.

Certainly less than ideal; I'll be very interested in your testing to see i=
f you can find
a way to around the issue (which we still think is centered around datasets=
 lacking
a mountpoint).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.