Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:31:30 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: migrating from thunderbird to mutt?

On 12/20/04 03:21 PM, cpghost@cordula.ws sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:13:57AM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> > Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > >Can mutt handle um like 5+ email address and have them all separated and
> > >be able to send from diffrent email accounts?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > >If I remember right mutt is just a mail reader, so how do I get mail to
> > >and sent from mutt?
> >
> > By setting up your MTA (sendmail, postfix, qmail).  Alternatively, you
> > can use mutt with pop3 or imap4 but its support for these protocols is
> > primitive at best.  And then you'd still have to configure sendmail for
> > outgoing mail.
>
> You can also install /usr/ports/mail/esmtp and use this to send
> mails via an smtp server of your choice.
>
> Setting this up with mutt is pretty easy:
>
> 1. in your ~/.muttrc, add:
>
> set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/esmtp"
> set envelope_from="yes"
>
> Now mutt will use esmtp (instead of sendmail) to deliver outgoing mails.
>
> 2. in your ~/.esmtprc configure your identities:
>
> identity = someone@somewhere.com
>     hostname = "stmp.somewhere.com:25"
>     username = ""
>     password = ""
>
> identity = someoneelse@example.com
>     hostname = "1.2.3.4:25"
>     username = "secret@example.com"
>     password = "somepassword"
>
> identiy = internal@example.org
>     hostname = "127.0.0.1:25"
>     username = ""
>     password = ""
>
> esmtp will contact the appropriate SMTP server on your behalf
> and will use the correct credentials to connect (if required).
>
> 3. Now fire up mutt, and compose an E-mail with 'm'.
> After you've finished typing your mail, change the sending
> address (From header) with 'ESC f' to match one of your
> identities. For example, using someoneelse@example.com
> will direct esmtp to send mail via the server 1.2.3.4 using
> the specified credentials. Then send the message with 'y'

ssmtp is also very good if you're not receiving email.  All it does is
get your mail out to the SMTP server of your choice.  I use it at work
to great satisfaction.  Otherwise, any SMTP server/client app
(sendmail, postfix, esmtp, etc.) is pretty easy to set up.

BTW Nikolas, sorry for responding to you directly, I meant to go back
to the list.  As mentioned, I had just gotten back from a couple cold
ones, and must have hit the wrong key.  In hindsight, I was probably a
little more enthusiastic that I needed to be :)

And to the poster that suggested Pine would be better for multiple
email addresses, I don't know about that.  My mutt config switches
personality depending on the imap folder I'm in.  I even have
additional headers for some that aren't added for others.

When I'm in my freebsd folder, I'm freebsd-at-keyslapper.org; when I'm
in my ssl folder, I'm ssl-at-keyslapper.org, and in my work folder
(pulled down via fetchmail) I'm leblanc-at-<work>.com.  I have at
least 7 right now, and have had as many as 10 at one time.  Limited
only by the number of aliases you want to manage.  I often roll them
in and out of service as my needs dictate, and the mutt configured
identity is always there.

I've even heard of people using a different gpg signature key for each
'identity'.

Like I said, the mutt mailing list is very helpful.

HTH

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Tact, n.:
  The unsaid part of what you're thinking.