Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 95 10:28:54 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium w/ PCI and EISA problems

[ ... weird Pentium 66 PCI/EISA woes deleted (disk controller) ... ]

How old is this box?

You were aware that older Saturn chipsets did not correctly do
writeback and thus could not be used with bus mastering DMA disk or
other controllers, right?

And that this applied to Neptune and Mercury chips too for a while,
because the problem was in the PCI bridge masks, and those were
shared between all of the chips?

This is one of the reasons I've suggested auto-detect and a BINVD
or other workaround for cache problems, with big messages at boot:

THIS MACHINE DOES NOT SUPPORT CACHE WRITEBACK OR INVALIDATION
THIS MACHINE HAS THE PENTIUM FDIV BUG
THIS MACHINE DOES NOT SUPPORT DMA TRANSFERS ABOVE 16M

etc.

Then work around it in software.  Bletcherous, but anything that
works is better than anything that doesn't work.

Can you check the date of manufacture and type of PCI bridge chip
in your machine?  If it isn't from March 1994 or later, you will
need replacement chips to run most protected mode operating systems.
Try turning off caching (external only, then internal only, then
external and internal both off) as a workaround.

Also, can you check your main bus controller chipset?  Is it OPTi
or HiNT and you have more than 16M of memory?  If so, one workaround
might be to yank memory out until you have 16M or less.  You may
want to try this anyway, and if it works, report the chipset type
to warn others off.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---