Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:46:25 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: saving a few ports from death
References:  <ip53jn$92d$1@dough.gmane.org> <4DB6165F.1010806@FreeBSD.org> <20110426024122.GA38579@comcast.net> <A9C17565-97D8-43F1-9CF7-8CFC79EFEA7B@FreeBSD.org> <20110426163424.GB38579@comcast.net> <20110426141209.0d07bccf@seibercom.net> <20110426184315.GA2320@libertas.local.camdensoftware.com> <19895.13977.553973.609431@jerusalem.litteratus.org> <4DB83D6E.9000800@aldan.algebra.com> <BANLkTik_65bxMgiQMyy1aojDuDjb6BX%2BgQ@mail.gmail.com>

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

Quoth Eitan Adler on Wednesday, 27 April 2011:
> > What is not broken -- just old, like =A0databases/db2 or www/apache13*,=
 for
> > example -- should be left alone (until it becomes both broken and
> > unmaintained). And even then, the removal should not be
> > mass-scale/automatic...
>=20
> This recent sweep was neither mass scale nor automatic.
> 536/22816 ports is only 3.234% of all the ports. Furthermore bapt@,
> myself, and a few other people went through each of the categories
> ensuring the projects were actually dead (not necessarily that the
> distfile couldn't be found). Then bapt@ marked the ports *deprecated*
> which does not mean deleted. It was a warning that people who were
> interested should step up and take up the work. If after N amount of
> time no one does so they will be individually deleted.
>=20
> > Maybe, for cleanliness and neatness, we should have a separate directory
> > (and category): "obsolete" -- where ports can go to die peacefully. But=
 it
> > should not be cvs' "Attic"...
>=20
> Who will be the ones to deal with that category, ensuring new
> infrastructure works, etc? The port maintainer? oh wait!
> cvs's Attic can be easily restored if people take up the slack. I see
> no reason to change this policy.
>=20
> --=20
> Eitan Adler

Modifying the script that was posted earlier, we can list out all
installed ports that are currently deprecated, and why:

#!/bin/sh                                                                  =
                                                                     =20
                                                                           =
                                                                     =20
prefix=3D/usr/ports/                                                       =
                                                                       =20
makefile=3D/Makefile                                                       =
                                                                       =20
                                                                           =
                                                                     =20
for file in `pkg_info -oxa | grep "/"`                                     =
                                                                     =20
do                                                                         =
                                                                     =20
        yes=3D`grep DEPRECATED=3D ${prefix}${file}${makefile}`
        if [ -n "$yes" ]                                                   =
                                                                     =20
        then
                echo $file $yes
        fi                                                                 =
                                                                     =20
done=20

When I ran this on my system, I found only lang/libutils.  It must have been
needed by something I've since uninstalled, because nothing depends on it
now -- so I deleted it.

--=20
=2EO. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
=2E.O | sterling@camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com