Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:18:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slaughtering disks (was Re: FreeBSD)

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Fred Gilham wrote:

> Well, not really contradicting this but it seems that there are
> certain hard drives that you can make unusable with FreeBSD.  In
> particular, I have a bunch of Fujitsu 500 meg SCSI drives that are
> sitting in a pile, the victims of FreeBSD installations.  I'm not sure
> exactly what FreeBSD did to them, but they worked before and didn't
> after trying to install FreeBSD.  I suspect some of the software the
> drive uses to operate is actually on the drive itself and got wiped
> out, but I'm not sure about this.  (The model of the drive is M1603SAU
> in case anyone is curious or has had other experiences with this drive
> and FreeBSD).

Hey, if you really think those drives are dead, PLEASE send them to me --
I'll even pay the shipping costs.  This will free-up some of your shelf
space and you'll have fewer nooks and crannies for unsightly dust
collection. "Bring out your dead" but I'm quite sure your drives are "not
dead yet" (spoken with a ridiculous english accent ala Monty Python).  ;-)

Tom