Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:11:21 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        Takeo Hashimoto <takeo@ss.jip.co.jp>

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 01:07 am, Takeo Hashimoto wrote:
> Currently every subscriber has to spend their time
> wading through the spam to pick up the ones which are not spam.
> (Of course it is dissipation of resources.)

Yes, I use spamassassin personally.  Also, I should note that FreeBSD.org's=
=20
mail server employs some aggressive spam filtering which stops a lot of it=
=20
from showing up on FreeBSD lists.  Perhaps the jp folks could setup some sp=
am=20
filtering on their mail server as well to cut down on the load.  Note that=
=20
only a couple of FreeBSD.org lists are restrict_post, most are open.

> >                            This means that someone new to FreeBSD
> > will likely have their questions lost because the e-mail will never
> > make it to the list (e.g. freebsd-questions) and would make it that
> > much harder for new people to get help getting started with FreeBSD.
>
> It is not difficult to subscribe ML
> even if they are new to FreeBSD.

I think you overestimate the skill of some newbies.  The other problem is t=
hat=20
some ML, like questions@, get a large number of e-mails a day.  I'm not sur=
e=20
it's fair to require a user to wade through a hundred or more non-spams jus=
t=20
so they can ask a question.

> > Adding restrict_post actually is a lot of work on the admins since
> > someone has to handle all the bounced e-mails.
>
> I think we can simply ignore them (>/dev/null).
>
> If you have better idea to stop deliver spam,
> please let me know.

Most of the FreeBSD developers when we have had discussions on spam recentl=
y=20
have concluded that the spam problem is so large and extent, that the only=
=20
real solution is for the receiver to block spam.  For example, since you've=
=20
submitted a PR, you'll probably now get just as much spam from that and thi=
s=20
e-mail exchange as you would by being on a jp list.  The actual advocacy@=20
list might not get as much spam sent to it, but your personal e-mail addres=
s=20
will be flooded, so you're going to need to setup some filtering on your=20
receiving end no matter what.  You can see more responses about that if you=
=20
look at the recent thread on cvs-all about the commit to query-pr.cgi to=20
sort-of hide e-mail addresses.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org