Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:00:16 -0400
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>
To:        Sevan / Venture37 <venture37@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of DTrace on FreeBSD

On Jun 9, 2013, at 9:48 , Sevan / Venture37 <venture37@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I started off with wanting to run postgresql on FreeBSD with DTrace =
support enabled but ran into various problems, digging further I =
discovered that the issue is not specific to Postgreqsl.
>=20
> My test system was FreeBSD-CURRENT/amd64 but I went back to 8.4/i386 =
to test.
>=20
> On fresh 8.4 install it's not possible to build a kernel or world =
WITH_CTF=3D1, build fails with WITH_CTF & WITHOUT_CTF can't both be set
> On FreeBSD-CURRENT (r251249 from last Sunday), postgresql & firefox =
build --with-dtrace but probes never show up when running dtrace -l
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-May/250843.html
>=20
> I was wondering what the percieved state of DTrace support was from =
the developers perspective, is this known behaviour?
> Should I rais a PR to flag the postgresql port broken when attempting =
to build with dtrace support?

Please raise these bugs when you find them.  There are several of us now =
working to make sure
that DTrace on FreeBSD is at parity with DTrace in illumos, and that's a =
non trivial undertaking.

Best,
George