Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:43:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

David Nugent writes:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> I'm going back to startx, unless you can give me some reason why I
>>> should consider xdm that isn't obvious to the uninitiated, and tell
>>> me how to REALLY get out of it.
>>
>> xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
>> mode display.
>
> I must be missing something. What's wrong with Ctrl-Alt-F? to get
> back to your character term vts while X is running?

Hmmm.  This seems to be general knowledge in which I don't share.
That's probably because I've been using Thomas Roell's X server (now
XInside) for nearly 5 years, and it doesn't work that way.  But
there's definitely something wrong with any key combination which will
take you out of X.  I use a number of control-alt-Fx combinations for
emacs, though I suppose I wouldn't have done so if XFree86 had been
available at the time.

> Works fine
> here. Works especially well for solving problems (like X locking
> up) that you describe.
>
>> Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
>> effectively takes away some of your freedom.
>
> Does something not run in an xterm?

ddb, for example.

> Yeah, sure, it is certainly a matter of personal preference, and
> X isn't the panacea. :)
>
>> I use xinit myself, and
>> for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
>> Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.
>
> Startup and login are somewhat different. Your shell logins, for
> example, aren't read unless you such them into your .xsession.

Aha.  Thanks.

Greg