Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:09:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        vpc@arch.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing from iso images - question

P Chandrasena writes:
> Hi,
>
> I do not lnow how to unpack the *.iso file and make a CD.
> What do I do to unpack the *.iso file before making the CD?.
> Or, Should I unpack after making the CD ?.

No unpacking. Its not a bad idead to use md5 to make sure the big file
isn't broken.

If you are already running FreeBSD and have an ATAPI/IDE CD-R then
something like this will create the cd:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c data 4.2-install.iso fixate

Probably want to read the burncd manpage as I am not sure what happens
when you fail to specify -s speed. I've only burned one, and at 12x with
the "-s 12" option, and it worked perfectly the first time. And yes, I
saw 1.79MB/sec on the device using "systat -v" during the burn.

If you have a scsi CD-R then you need the cdrecord port. The command
line is different but the idea is the same.

If you have Windows or Mac then you need the appropriate utilities for
thost machines.

As others have mentioned if you have a FreeBSD machine, and if it has
the vn device compiled in the kernel (GENERIC as of recently) the you
can:

# vnconfig vn0c 4.2-install.iso
# mount -t cd9669 /dev/vn0c /mnt

And play with the contents that way. For example I wasn't sure my new
CD-RW and $0.13/disc media really worked. So I mounted the image, and
the new CD-R, and let "diff -r --brief /mnt /cdrom" crunch for 20
minutes or so until I realized its probably walking thru all of
packages/All and packages/*/* because it doesn't know about hard links
and that those files are the same and about 3/4 of the disc.

Did find the CHECKSUM.TXT file listed a thing or two that wasn't there,
and at least one thing that was there. Jordan said on the second roll
of 4.2.0-RELEASE that he was adding something. Apparently in the haste
CHECKSUM.TXT didn't get updated.

Then to clean up what you just did first unmount the filesystem, then
unconfigure the vnode to detach the file you attached to it earlier:

# umount /mnt
# vnconfig -u vn0c

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net