Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 06:20:45 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        s g <iwantaname11@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advice for a tv tuner

s g wrote:

> i am seeking advice for a tv tuner card.

> avermedia tv89 fm (not shure if it supports nicam)
> hauppage wintv pci fm

Buy Hauppauge.

I maintain the drivers for the TV Tuner cards so I know what
hardware our FreeBSD driver supports.

For Nicam, the Hauppauge cards are great.
I have a WinTV PCI + Nicam + FM tuner card myself.
(even the Infra-Red remote control works with FXTV)
And if it does not work, I've got access to the design teams
in America where I can ask hardware related questions.

But I have never had my hands on an AverMedia card with Nicam
before and I'm expecting to have to make a few driver changes
to make it work correctly.
In _theory_, it can be made to work.
But... we may never get it working and you have wasted your money.

So, Hauppauge is your best option.

It is unfortunate that AverMedia cards are cheaper than Hauppauge cards
but if you want Nicam support, buy a Hauppauge.

Roger