Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 07:22:47 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, ahasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting the bt848 driver into the GENERIC kernel

Roger Hardiman:
 |But as FXTV supports the DGA Direct Video mode (DMA transfer from
 |bt848->video card directly) there is no need for a frame buffer in all
 |situations.  FXTV can work without it. (It runs faster in DGA mode
 |anyway) Video Capture, e.g. vic, frame_capture for a webcam etc, requires
 |it.

Amancio Hasty:
 |I like the idea of getting the "TV" out of the box and just
 |pressing the "on" button to watch a program . Oops , I meant
 |FreeBSD not "TV" 8)

At first thought, it sounds appealing to me too :-), but...

Ok, as far as Fxtv goes, it only uses DGA when the video window is
unoccluded.  When it is partially occluded by another window, it falls back
and uses XImages mode via the driver capture buffer.  Due to the nature of
X, it isn't really practical to do DGA and just adjust the clipping region
when the window is partially occluded.  It would "mostly" work, but since
it's not a general solution I didn't pursue it.

Also, you mentioned the buffer size issue.  There's also some concern about
the size of the generic kernel fitting on boot floppy, which I see Soren
mentioned.  And a few other things Soren pointed out that are good points.

Sren Schmidt:
 |As much as I would like the GENERIC kernel to have all this functionality
 |built in, equally much I see all the problems its uncovers.

I second that.  I also Soren's "BIGGENERIC" kernel idea.

If it was easier to boot BIGGENERIC up than to tell someone how to
configure and build a new kernel (which is almost a given!), and if our
detection hit-rate was good (Amancio, wasn't that what you were working on
last? -- did that make it in by chance?)  then BIGGENERIC really makes good
sense!

It could even live on the CD and be made primary by a configuration option.

Randall