Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:03:43 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        tec@mega.net.br
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD data size tuning

TEC Meganet wrote:

>now you're touching the art of speaking and understanding  ... certainly also a
>performance so it fits well here :)
>
>if the maker of the software  says stay with the old one until the newer one is
>ready it is for me a very clear statement, special in context with talking about
>PAE
>
>or the writer should learn to write better ...

This is one of those "subject to interpretation" things.  I read the
"our most conservative users" to mean "our users who never apply patches
or upgrade until they are 6 months old".  Plus, if you notice, they are
saying "use 5.1, 5.2, 4.9, or if you are paranoid, stick with 4.8" - and
I understand, it's basically the same thing I tell a user who is prone
to complain about every change or bump when moving to something newer.
For those users, I say "if you don't like the pain of change, don't change".

I can't argue with your interpretation - it's perfectly valid.  So - use
4.8.

Eric

>Eric Anderson (anderson@centtech.com) wrote*:
>

>>TEC Meganet wrote:
>>

>>>it's here
>>>http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/announce.html
>>>

>>It says:
>>"We encourage all our users to evaluate FreeBSD 5.1 and the upcoming
>>5.2. Because PAE support has only been a feature in 4.X for a few
>>months, it has not received wide-spread testing, and our most
>>conservative users may wish to stay with FreeBSD 4.8 until they choose
>>to migrate to 5.X."
>>
>>Which is a lot different than:

All generalizations are false, including this one.