Date:      04 Jan 2003 20:38:15 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        tempy <temperanza@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another license possibility

tempy <temperanza@softhome.net> writes:

> I've been following the debate here, and wondered- what would you think
> of a modified GPL of sorts that is "dormantly viral"
> and only spreads with the functions placed under it? This would be
> functionally similar to the LGPL, except that it's a bit freer
> about how the code can be linked to.
>
> For instance, I write coolstuff.c under this license. MegaSoft modifies
> it for use in their propietary software. If they release
> their modified form, the rest of their source code can stay both legal
> and secret.

Sure. For some purposes it's better than some, worse than others.  Write
it up and propose it to http://www.creativecommons.org/ which is trying
to gather some general-purpose license with various sets of features.

Another one is a GPL variant which allows derivatives with non-GPL code
like BSD without infection.  (Currently, people abuse both licenses
when they merge such code.)

Another says "use it in closed code anyway you want, but if you publish
an open derivative, it has to be licensed with such-and-such terms (eg,
copyleft or non-copyleft)".