Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:59:11 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple versions of FreeBSD on one HDD

At 1:24 PM -0400 8/3/99, i (Garance A Drosihn) wrote:
>So, my guess is that my primary problem is that I have only a
>vague idea of what I'm doing...  Where is a good point to start
>looking for a better idea?  I tried searching the web site for
>"multi-boot", but that didn't turn up much.  I have a number
>of questions from doing this:
>   1. why does the install turn my HD unbootable?  (invalid
>      partition table).  I didn't ask it to re-fdisk anything,
>      and I didn't ask for it to change my boot loader.
>   2. I have the BIOS option on so I can boot off larger
>      hard disks, and indeed it seems I can boot to the
>      first three partitions.  Why can't I get to that final
>      partition?
>   3. Can I get it so that booting off the third partition
>      will smoothly boot into 3.2-stable?

I should mention that what I have on the disk right now (with
the three systems) isn't too critical, so it is alright if I
have to start over and reinstall everything.  On the other
hand, reinstalling does get a little tiring after awhile, so
I want to have a better idea of what I'm doing before I take
another stab at this, to minimize the number of reinstalls
that I wind up doing.

I should also mention that while I do have a second 4-gig scsi
disk to use, it isn't actually installed yet.

Also, I did intend to have a freebsd 4-current system as part
of this multi-boot mix.  I don't think I mentioned that last
time.  Perhaps I should create one fdisk-style partition per
hard disk, and put all freebsd-related slices (for all the
different freebsd installs) into that one partition?  Would
that make things go smoother?  (particularly if I put all the
boot-related slices at the start of that fdisk-style partition)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute