Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:05:10 +0100
From:      "Lasse Laursen" <laursen@netgroup.dk>
To:        mysql@lists.mysql.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MySQL and FreeBSD 5.x - Using LinuxThreads or not?

Hi all,

We are about to upgrade one of our database servers to a Dual Xeon machine
with HT. We have been testing FreeBSD 5.x for 6-7 months on a Uniprocessor
box and we haven't had any problems with the platform.

We would like to use FreeBSD 5 on our new database server since the SMP
support is superior in the new release compared to the 4.x branch.

I did some reading on the topic at Jeremy Zawodny's website:

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000697.html

and he suggests that the best solution is to use LinuxThreads when compiling
MySQL under FreeBSD.

His initial article covered FreeBSD 4.x -
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html

Have any of you had any experience with stability/performance under FreeBSD
5.x and MySQL 4.0.x? Should the LinuxThread library still be used when
compiling for maximum performance or has the problems been solved in

Regards
--
Lasse Laursen · VP, Hosting Technology · NetGroup A/S
St. Kongensgade 40H · DK-1264 Copenhagen K, Denmark

- Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations - BSD is the One True Code