Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2019 20:53:36 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raspberry pi 4
References:  <20190709161243.GC4904@mon.zyxst.net> <HZPxf8oyosxDF2kVxJHXYBDY9ULZtF5VHU8FnEslTS9JS-dMsA1G61OnXEHmL0xUVPqZTeF2Q_Z9F58Su81uDDiX86do5d3mqFG7q4teJlw=@protonmail.com> <CAHxjC0-VJmQK=feqAb2H9sSAwHXo8=KTYr3Os72WBB58SaoiMg@mail.gmail.com> <20190710031750.GB28522@lonesome.com> <5fcba83d-2207-accc-ab33-a33085c80753@FreeBSD.org> <35ec822f78362b6b88e25f399fddcf501a327722.camel@freebsd.org> <2aabd4ed-67b8-0ea3-5616-fb4f1d418ba0@FreeBSD.org>

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:19:38PM -0700, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

> On 7/10/19 11:10 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >> Indeed. SBCs come and go. They are EOL before we even have a boot
> >> prompt. Personally I would like to see a joint effort focused on one
> >> board and make that work really well. Maybe an incentive would be the
> >> foundation throwing money at it in the form of rewards for well defined
> >> sub projects. The one most likely to survive longest is RPI but there
> >> might be other valid alternatives as well. Thanks to Emmanuel's efforts
> >> maybe Pine64 is a good alternative? I'm happy to help with graphics if
> >> we would do such focused effort but as long as we're all over the place
> >> I don't see much point in contributing with the limited time I have...
> >>
> >> Please note, this is not criticism in any way and I'm not trying to
> >> diminish the work developers do on these boards. Everyone is free to
> >> work on what they want. Question is, do we want a single board computer
> >> that's actually usable for something or only as tinker toys? Without
> >> direction, I'm afraid they will always be half working tinker toys due
> >> to the limited amount of developers we have.
> >>
> >> If anyone disagrees, I welcome your point of view.
> >>
> > What you call a "half working tinker toy" is what we use to build and
> > ship a dozen different products at $work.
>
> My apologies if I offended anyone. I didn't know that we had such good
> support that you could actually ship products based on it. Maybe I ask
> what board that is?

I also run products with FreeBSD.
Just a hand full in the wild right now.
The current is based on RPi3 with mirrored ZFS root running service
terminals with capacitive touchscreen.
UI is browser based with local http server, which then connects to
an USB IO controller board to fullfill the requested job.
FreeBSD has come a long way with the GENERIC arm kernel we have right
now and this makes is rather easy to swap boards, as long as USB and
HDMI output is supported.
Upgrading ports is a hell, since browsers tend to fail and such.
But upgrading the OS, e.g. to support the newer 3B+, was rather easy.

At home and company I run some PINE64-LTS as routers, timeservers, ...
They are great boards for this job with their solid GBit Ethernet,
battery backed RTC and lithium support.
They also run with ZFS root on mirrored micro-SD cards.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de