Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:34:11 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Walter Alejandro Iglesias <roquesor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Same version on binary packages and updated ports

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 05:16:11PM +0100, Walter Alejandro Iglesias wrote:

Hi,

I am not expert on all this, but can give a couple of impressions.

> Hello,
>
> I am giving my firsts steps with FreeBSD.

Welcome to FreeBSD.  It is a good system.

> I've searched a lot in google, mailing list, forums, freebsd
> handbook and I am still not clear about the following.
>
> In a RELEASE fresh install, after updating the ports using i.e.
> portsnap, the packages downloaded with pkp_add -r are older
> versions respect their port counterparts, leading to
> dependencies issues.  So, once the ports tree is updated:
>
> 1) Am I forced to compile all?

Anything that has changed and anything that depends on those things.
That can mean a lot of recompiling.

> 2) Should I use STABLE to get the same versions with pkg_add
> than compiling up to date ports?  Are STABLE packages compiled
> from this ports?

Check this page:

   http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

It's more accurate than what I started to wrie.

The ports tree and the OS release generally sync up when a RELEASE
comes out, but that soon begins to diverge as ports are changed.
Ports are worked on independently by port maintainers.

////jerry