Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:35:29 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Ryan Beasley <ryanb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Summer of Code -- OSSv4 audio compatibility

Quoting Ryan Beasley <ryanb@FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 22 Aug 2006 =20
16:11:24 -0500):

> Hello, current@ & multimedia@!
>
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Summary =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> I participated in Google's Summer of Code this year, working on adding
> support for 4Front's OSSv4 API.
>
> Unfortunately, more of the API specifications were still under
> construction than I expected, so I focused entirely on the audio
> collection of ioctls and maybe just one or two mixer ioctls.  While
> official documentation isn't yet available, the mixer extensions, which
> are one of the coolest parts of the new API, are my top priority.  (I
> think I now have enough reference material to begin work in that area.)

Clarification: his top priority is not part of the SoC 2006 anymore. =20
The patch presented here is the outcome of the Soc. Anything from now =20
on (bugfixes and enhancements to this code) is not covered by the SoC =20
anymore but purely based upon his interest in improving his work.

> For information on the ioctls, please take a look at
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/RyanBeasley/ioctlref .
>
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Patch Info =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> A patch against recent -CURRENT is available at
> http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/sound/rbeasley_sound.diff .
>
> Comments, suggestions, etc., would be hugely appreciated!
>
> To apply,
> =09cd /usr/src/sys
> =09patch --quiet < rbeasley_sound.diff
>
> Then rebuild the sound/sound module and whichever modules are
> appropriate for your sound card.  You should also install the new
> sys/soundcard.h.

Building/installing the world and kernel after patching will do this =20
(in case you want to test this but don't know how to do this).

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Testing =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Please beat down on audio as much as possible.  Note that some
> applications might need to be recompiled in order to access the new
> ioctls (sys/soundcard.h was tweaked).

We are interested in the behavior of the applications without =20
recompiling them (ideally there's no change in behavior), and after =20
recompiling.

> Two areas that were least tested by me were ioctls intended to be used
> with mmap() (ex: SNDCTL_DSP_CURRENT_OPTR) and recording.  Please keep an
> eye on these.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing; a confusion of the real
with the ideal never goes unpunished.
=09=09-- Goethe

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137