Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:58:19 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Laptop users take notice

I'd like to start a 'freebsd-mobile' mailing lists for users of laptops,
notebooks, and other mobile users of FreeBSD.  I'm starting on the home
stretch for getting APM support working, and the next stage will be
finishing up the PC-CARD support, but I'm going to need some more
testers soon.

What we have now is a pretty good framework based on the work
Poul-Henning and the BSD Nomads group have done, but it needs to be
filled in.  Most of the code to fill it in exists, but needs to be
thought out, integrated, and tested.

My status on the project is that yesterday I got APM suspend/resume
working on my box, so I need to do a bit more cleanup and testing of the
APM driver, and then I need some folks to test and review these fixes
before I commit them.

My proposed schedule for committing code to the tree: (Notice no dates. :)
1) Finish and clean up the APM support
2) Bring in some of the recent PC-CARD patches from the Nomads
3) Bring in and cleanup the user-land patches from the Nomads
4) Tweak the /etc config files as necessary
5) Bring in the driver modifications for PCCARD support

I'm more than willing to change my schedule, or let anyone else do the
work, but I have an advantage/disadvantage in that I *have* to get this
working for a project for my employer.  The advantage is that I have
time, the disadvantage is that I have a deadline coming up which means I
won't be able to use as much on-the-clock time in a few weeks.

Also, if necessary I can make patches against -current and -stable
(preferrable -stable since that's what I'm running) of all of the above
in order to get people jump-started.

What I'm looking for:
1) Laptop or notebook owners who can test patches
2) Folks interested in this area to give feedback

What I'm not looking for:
1) People who want to throw out the existing interface for something new
2) People who are willing to make suggestions without doing a bit of
   work to help out.

Most of us are stretched pretty thin as it is, but I think getting
PC-CARD support in FreeBSD would be a great feather in our cap, and I
believe we have the existing framework is adequate for now.

I'm willing to co-ordinate the work, and I'm hoping that the patches I
generate will be tested fairly well (I have access to 2 different
laptops most of the time), but no guarantees.

Send me email, and if there is enough interest we can get the postmaster
to setup a mailing list on freefall.

Thanks!

Nate