Date:      15 Apr 2003 15:49:29 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: porting.sgml update

--=-nRel34jPk3CYVw+uBQ5h

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 14:45, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>=20
> >> (04.15.2003 @ 0947 PST): Joe Marcus Clarke said, in 2.5K: <<
> > On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 04:41, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> > > I have an update to www/en/gnome/docs/porting.sgml.  At this point, i=
t's
> > > pretty rough.  It just added entries for the GNOME2 USE_GNOME pieces,
> > > removed the GNOMENG stuff, added a little bit of text about how to
> > > decide which pieces to put in, and reordered the list to make GNOME2
> > > stuff come before GNOME1 stuff.
> >=20
> > I was hoping to consolidate the long list into something more readable.=
=20
> > Maybe we need to divide this into two porting guides.  You might also
> > want to mention GNOME_DESKTOP_VERSION when it comes to ports such as
> > libpanel, nautilus2, gnomepanel, etc.
> >> end of "Re: porting.sgml update" from Joe Marcus Clarke <<
>=20
> I've fixed the formatting snafu.

Looks good.

>=20
> Joe, while I agree that this should be made greatly more concise, I
> think it'd be good to at least temporarily get something that's at least
> accurate up on the webpace. I'm still grappling with finding a good way
> to represent the USE_GNOME implication structure. Once I do, the
> majority of the Big Ol' List will be irrelevant.

Okay.  I agree we need something up there ASAP.  I do have a few
comments on the existing contents.

Under your section on looking at the output of make configure to
determine which components are needed, you talk about implicit
dependencies.  It should be noted that atk is not explicitly needed here
as it is implied by libgnomeui, libwnck, and atspi.

A paragraph on GNOME_DESKTOP_VERSION, and how it will affect certain
ports would be nice to have.  Basically, if a component requires a
certain desktop version, and the user has specified they want a
different version, the port will be marked BROKEN.  If the port can
optionally use a certain GNOME desktop version, and the user has
specified another version, then the port will not enable those
desktop-specific features.  Along with this, you should add something to
the components that care about GNOME_DESKTOP_VERSION.

Joe

>=20
> # Adam
>=20
>=20
> - --
> Adam Weinberger
> vectors.cx	>>	adam@vectors.cx
> FreeBSD.org	<<	adamw@FreeBSD.ORG
> #vim:set ts=3D8: 8-char tabs prevent tooth decay.
--=20

--=-nRel34jPk3CYVw+uBQ5h

--=-nRel34jPk3CYVw+uBQ5h--