Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:50:23 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -af in FreeBSDupdate to 8.0

On 23 June 2010 08:29, n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> in the process of upgrading 7.2 -> 8.0, the last step is to recompile all
> ports
> (section 24.2.3 of freebsd manual)
> # portupgrade -f ruby
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
> # portugprade -f ruby18-bdb
> # rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db /usr/ports/INDEX-*.db
>
> # portupgrade -af
>
> Did that for my 760 ports, but after 499 ports reinstalled (and 11 hours)=
,
> it stopped

<snip />

> Why does it stop? Can it be avoided? Or can I make portupgrade -af start
> from where it got so far in the first run ?
>

> I could do # portupgrade -af =A0again, but this is again "everything" (11
> hours)...
>
> I noticed on a different system (with only 64 ports), that it stopped at
> lang/ruby18 there as well,
> and after again # portugprade -af (which then continued past lang/ruby18)=
,
> it stopped a second time
> in the same manner at
> =A0---> =A0Reinstallation of databases/ruby-bdb ended at: Mon, 14 Jun 201=
0
> 13:01:25
> =A0+0200 (consumed 00:00:28)

AFAICR, portupgrade is written in Ruby, so strange things can happen
if you pull the carpet out from under it like that. Not really your
fault...

I suggest you look at the man page for pkg_glob, and look for the kind
of glob to supply for portupgrade; for example:

 The following command line arguments are supported:

     pkgname_glob        Specify one of these: a full pkgname, a pkgname wi=
th-
                         out version, or a shell glob pattern to match agai=
nst
                         pkgnames or their origins in which you can use wil=
d-
                         cards `*', `?', and `[..]', an extended regular
                         expression preceded by a colon `:' to match agains=
                         pkgnames or their origins, or a date range specifi=
ca-
                         tion preceded by either `<' or `>'.

So try

[chris@amnesiac]~% sudo portupgrade -f '<2010-06-22'

That should reinstall all the ports that were installed before yesterday.

HTH

Chris