Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:51:09 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new laptop suggestions - not the usual stuff

--2eauhx3HRLXw1WRo

On Saturday, 24 July 2004 at 20:27:30 -0400, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> Ok folks, I know that this comes up from time to time, and I know very
> well the FreeBSD laptop compatibility list (which rocks!), but I think
> this case is different, and here's why.
>
> I am looking for a new laptop that has the following features:
>
> 1) pointing stick in keyboard   *THIS IS A MUST*

Well, I suppose there's no accounting for taste...

> 2) AMD64 proc
> 3) better-than XGA display ((W)SXGA or (W)UXGA)

I have no idea what this means, but I suppose you mean > 1024x768.

> 4) integrated and supported bluetooth
> 5) integrated and supported 802.11 a/b/g
> 6) integrated and supported 10/100(/1000) wired Ethernet
> 7) CDRW (not necessary, but nice)
>
> So far, I have been stuck on the HP nc8000, and it meets every
> criteria except #2 (not sure about #4).  I _really_ want #2, but
> would settle for the nc8000 with Pentium-M @ 1.7GHz if there is no
> other alternative.

I suspect you'll have difficulty getting both AMD 64 and high
resolution.  I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 which also has all these
features except for 2.  It has display resolutions of up to 1920x1440.
Bluetooth and wireless.  I haven't got the wireless working, but I've
been told that it works with Project Evil, and I suppose the Bluetooth
would too; I have no application for that.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.