Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2019 08:31:14 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT October images do not create a bootable install

On Wed, 06 Nov 2019 17:23:08 -0800
Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com> wrote:

> I put a box together to test 13 about a mos ago.
> It's a second gen core i3. But whether choosing automatic
> disk layout, or choosing manual. When the install finishes, and
> boots to the drive. The BIOS reports no bootable media.
> I finally gave up, and grabbed the most recent RELENG-12. Which
> worked as expected.
> While I have no troubles booting (U)EFI. Isn't the so-called
> LEGACY boot option still supported?
>
> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

I installed the latest FreeBSD 13 memstick image (UEFI) yesterday
and had no problem booting it.  I used manual disk partitioning.
In fact, when I added the / partition the installer automatically
created and populated the EFI boot partition for me.

I used UEFI because that was already set in the BIOS and the
computer doesn't belong to me.

LEGACY mode should still work as long as the BIOS offers that.
My main FreeBSD 13 box uses LEGACY booting.

--
Gary Jennejohn