Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 12:50:22 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: empty lists in for

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:10:15 +0600, Max Khon wrote:
>
> > bash and ksh complain about unexpected ';'.
> > /bin/sh (FreeBSD) thinks it's ok and does nothing.
> > Which behaviour is more POSIXly correct?
>
> Neither bash nor ksh claim to be particularly POSIX compliant.

	I can't speak knowledgeably about ksh, but bash has POSIX compliance as
one of it's main goals. Check out
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/Bash-FAQ.txt and search for the word POSIX.
It even has a "posix mode" that makes it more strict than it already is.

> our /bin/sh does.

	We do a pretty good job here of course. People like Martin Cracauer
(and a host of others) have worked very hard to keep our /bin/sh in line
with the standards.

>  I seem to remember POSIX being ambiguous on this one, but
> my books are at the office.  If you haven't gotten a more conclusive
> answer by Monday, mail me and I'll look it up.

	Unfortunately I missed the original. What was the questioner trying to
do?

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"