Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2013 03:15:35 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are ports supposed to build and run on 10-CURRENT?

Hi,

I've been waiting for http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=179233
to get committed for a little while now.

The person looking at it today decided to test it on 10-CURRENT, which
failed (it built, but unit tests fail with all kinds of bus errors
on exit). It's not entirely clear what the issue is, but since Ice is a
very complex port there are many possible reasons why it might fail.

I *did* test the port thoroughly and successfully on current RELEASE
versions in various combinations though:

- system gcc + system libstdc++
- system clang + system libstdc++
- system clang + std=c++11 + system libc++

I reproduced the problem on 10-CURRENT, the test results are:
- system gcc + system libstdc++ : Build ok, Unit tests *ok*
- system clang + system libstdc++: Build ok, Unit tests fail
- system clang + std=c++11 + system libc++: Build fails, due to
  a dependency (databases/db5) not building with those flags. It looks
  like a problem in libc++ to me, but I didn't have much time to
  investigate. It might be one of those things that might just go away
  after a while.

Building ports with libc++ and C++11 is a separate, but - for some
people and software packages - important topic I will address in a
separate post.

But overall the port simply doesn't work correctly on HEAD and its
non-release versions of clang and libc++. Marking the port as GCC only
is not an option though, since building it with clang + C++11 + libc++
results in a lot more useful package and for RELEASE it *does* work
correctly. For all I know this might be due to bugs in clang, a problem
in Ice or something completely different.

So my question is: Are we port maintainers now really supposed to make
ports work with CURRENT? That would be an awful lot of extra work and I
don't think I'm willing to handle this extra work, especially in case
of devel/ice, devel/py-ice and devel/php5-ice, which already took a
substantial amount of time to patch and test to make sure they work
properly on RELEASE versions of FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Gmelin