Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:08:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   troubles with SCSI controller adaptec 2940AU

Howdy!

I got a 2.2.2-RELEASE box with a Adaptec 2940AU PCI SCSI controller,
connected to a Quantum Fireball HD.
I'm using kernel.GENERIC, and a TYAN motherboard (more specs if needed,
since I haven't the machine here now).
If I do a cold boot (I mean with the power switch) the BIOS sees the adaptec
and I can boot from the hd (I installed FreeBSD on it :-),
but if I do a warm boot (eg with "reboot") the bios doesn't sees the
controller and I can't boot.

Here is what I get from the bios during the boot:

adaptec AHA-2940AU BIOS v1.21
Press CTRL-A for SCSI Select utility!
[so it seems that the m/b bios sees the controller, but after about 15
secs I get:]
time-out failure during SCSI inquiry command
No SCSI boot device found
SCSI BIOS not installed
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
:-(

I *hope* ;-) I just have to compile a custom kernel...

TIA

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' di Milano, Italy.
"The time has come", the Walrus said, "to talk of many things".