Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC: cut&paste funtionality...

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 sos@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> So, I'm left with a little problem about how to handle the marked
> text when new output goes to the screen, possibly messing up
> the marked area or moving it around. There is 3 possible
> solutions to this:
>
> 1.	Catch all updates and change the marking to comply
>
> 2.	Remove the marking on all updates.
>
> 3.	Only show the marked text when actually doing the
> 	cut action, remove as soon as the mousebutton is
> 	released.
>
> Now, 1 above is almost impossible, so unless we will accept
> a MAJOR slowdown on screen updates, this is not really an
> option. 2 above is possible (thats the route I've started)
> but it generates quite alot of code. 3 is easy and does
> not cost anything...
>
> So comments are VERY welcome...

I don't like 3 because I tend to move the mouse when I let go of the
button, and the only reason I notice this under X is because it leaves the
area highlighted.  2 also keeps xterm behavior, which I like (for
consistency, not because I think it's the best way to do it).  In fact, I
was disappointed when gpm became the standard under linux, because
selection was mostly xterm-mouse software compatible, so I had text
editors that I could use the mouse on the console or in an xterm without
having to change a thing.

sigh :-) Sometimes I do miss a linux kludge or two (not that the entire OS
is a kludge, but the development model supports kludges becoming
standard).