Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:00:41 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        freebsd@citystamp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel build problems (still/again/whatever)

"Matthew P. Marino" wrote:

>   The goal was to load 4.3-CURRENT. That aint happening! So, I loaded 4.1. I
> tried to cvsup to 4.3 and rebuild and install the kernel, that aint happening.
> So, just for laughs I loaded 4.1 and without doing anything else tried to build
> the kernel according to the instructions in the handbook chapter 9. The "make
> buildkernel" errors "Error: subtraction of two symbols in differnt sections
> "IdlePTD" {data section} - "KERNBASE" {*UND* section} at file address 1569."
> There is a line early in the log that mentions "vm" was not found.

Well, for starters there isn't anything called 4.3-current. You have
4.3-release and 4.3-stable. What did you cvsup and how did you try to
build things. The buildworld, build[install]kernel, reboot to single
user mode, and installworld isn't an option. Read /usr/src/UPDATING.

>   I went back and re-read and tried section 1 method and when I issue "make
> depend" it says "make : don't know how to make depend". In /etc i have kernel
> and kernel.generic. They are both the same byte size and both have the same
> creation date. Even though I went through the kernel configuration section of
> the install (14 times today, no lie) it seems that the kernel build fails and I
> get a generic. I have exhausted every avenue of research I can find and they all
> give the same procedure. It's not working. I have tried every install and
> upgrade method available with no luck. Is this typical of a freebsd install????
> It makes Solaris look easy and that's a scarry thought!

That only works if you haven't cvsup'ed. You also need to be doing
something like
make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel

It sounds like you have multiple bad choices working for you. Read
/usr/src/UPDATING around line 220 or so on upgrading to 4.x-stable.

Kent

Kent