Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:13:10 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        BSD Mailing Archive <bsdmail@infinetgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] Win95 SLIP/PPP over null modem?

BSD Mailing Archive shared with us:

>   I'm trying to connect a Win95 laptop to my FreeBSD (2.1) machine and
>   basically have the FreeBSD host act as a gateway to the rest of the
>   network. I was wondering if I could simply use a null modem cable
>   between the two COM ports and trick win95 DUN into using that? AFAIK,
>   DUN will wait for a dial tone, which obviously isn't going to be there.
>   Any ideas?
>
>   Or should I try PLIP instead? But is there PLIP for win95? :)

The problem is not FreeBSD, the problem is Windows 95. (Now that
I re-read my mail, this looks a bit like stating the obvious :) ).
You could replace 'my FreeBSD machine' by 'my Solaris machine' or
'my NT machine' and the question would be the same: a Windows 95
question.

'Dial-up networking' doesn't look like the solution here, since it
intended to, right, dial up.

Perhaps you'd better check www.windows95.com or cws.internet.com to
find usefull 95/NT tools.

- Peter