Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:50:22 +0200 (EET)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > Likewise, here it is my experience with a CYCLADES Cyclom 16YeP multiport
> >board & FreeBSD 3.0-971117-SNAP, both UP & SMP case (please nota that I
> >used the COM ports before installing the multiport board and did get zero
> >"silo overflow"s; also, setting speed to 115200 rather than 57600 makes
> >the no. of overflows grow faster):
>
> This problem is well known.  The PCI version of the cy driver doesn't
> use fast interrupts, so at 115200 bps, it is likely to drop about N fifos
> full of input whenever another driver preempts of masks cy interrupts for
> N+0.5 msec.  The keyboard driver usually masks (non-fast) cy interrupts
> for more than several msec to program the keyboard LEDs; PIO drivers
> like the PIO wd driver can preempt (non-fast) interrupts for even longer
> if the disk is fast and the controller is slow...

 I suppose there is work undergoing about this very issue...
 I'm willing to help, I'd love to even (finally, something to "repay" your
efforts, my good men :) ), as soon I'll get the forthcoming 6.4Gb SCSI HD
beast oline...

> >----------
> >Mar 25 19:46:01 ady /kernel: cy0: 1 more silo overflow (total 177)
> >Mar 25 19:50:26 ady /kernel: cy0: 1 more silo overflow (total 178)
> >Mar 25 19:50:58 ady /kernel: cy2: 1 more silo overflow (total 13)
> >Mar 25 20:02:03 ady /kernel: cy0: 1 more silo overflow (total 179)
> >Mar 25 20:03:11 ady /kernel: cy0: 1 more silo overflow (total 180)
>
> It's doing well to get only one at a time :-).

 Yes, but it's sometimes pretty annoying.
 Oh well, as someone was saying, better know about it rather than forget
it... ;)

> Bruce

 Thanks!
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)