Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2018 07:53:05 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r337738 -> r337834: Forth loader OK; Lua loader says "BTX halted"

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
> I'm tracking head/amd64 daily twice on each of two machines: my "build
> machine" ("freebeast") and my laptop, each first using the traditional
> Forth loader, then (on a different slice), the Lua loader.
>
> Each is using BIOS and MBR (not UEFI; not GPT).
>
> Yesterday's update was to r337738, and was uneventful for each of
> the four environments.
>
> Today's was to r337834, and was uneventful for the build machine (both
> Forth and Lua loaders -- though there remains no means of interacting
> with the loader on the build machine if it's booted using the Lua
> loader).
>
> The laptop had no issues using the Forth loader, but the boot process
> was ... severely abbreviated ... using the Lua loader.
>
> I don't have a serial consoloe on the laptop, so I snapped a photo; it
> may be found at
> <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/head/r337834/BYX_halted.jpg>.
>
> As the name suggests, the final message was:
>
> BTX halted
>
> at which point, I found no way to get the laptop to respond to anything
> but a power cycle.

Interesting. It seems to have died in the middle of loading a
module... any insight into what that module may have been?

Any way to hack beastie_disable="YES" into loader.conf(5) and see if
that changes things?

The only real change in lualoader in the past day was the update to
5.3.5 and removal of some float stuff- the former was pretty tiny, and
the latter was unused cruft anyways.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans