Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:42:37 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [CFT] WITH_BSD_PATCH

(Not sure the first announcement made it - Sorry if you get this twice)

Fellow FreeBSD developers;

As many of you may have noticed as of r246074 we have a
new version of patch(1) in the tree!

The brief history is this:

- Larry Wall developed the first patch(1) implementation
which was taken by the FSF and greatly enhanced into
what today is GNU patch.
- FreeBSD has been using an early version of GNU patch
(2.1) and made some relatively small enhancements on it.
Two of the files in FreeBSD are under the GPL.
-OpenBSD took a very old version of patch (2.0) and
started from there. The GPL'd files were replaced with
PD or otherwise unrestricted versions.
- The OpenBSD version was ported to DragonFly BSD
and after further enhancements the DF version was also
adopted by NetBSD.

I took the DragonFly version and back-ported some of the
changes that we had in the FreeBSD version. As a result
the new "BSD patch" that is available as an option in the tree
covers most of the functionality of the patch in FreeBSD
with two exceptions: -I and -S. Both options seem to
be obsolete and don't seem to be used in ports. Furthermore
GNU and BSD patch already uses -I to ignore white spaces.

The new version is expected to be a complete replacement
for our previous GNU patch but has only been lightly tested.
Please test extensively, report bugs, and submit patches.
We would love to use the new patch by default in 10.0 but
only testing will let us know when it's ready.

Special thanks to:
Christoph Mallon - for porting the perforce diff support.
Gabor Kovesdan - for doing the import since he has experience
bringing these jewels into tree :).

Enjoy!

Pedro.