Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:12:47 +0400
From:      George Kouryachy <frbrgeorge@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports version upping policy?

Hi.

I've noticed some ports I'm using are too outdated against the upstream
E. g. python Toy Parseg Generatior (tpg) port is still 3.0.0, although
there is 3.0.5 with many bugfixes.

Another example is tardy (tarball on-the-fly editor). It just ups from
1.11 to 1.12, but the new version has many changes and meanwhile the
author switched it's website.

The Q are:
1. I have stable new-versioned ports edited by myself. Can I push it
to main ports tree instead of rewriting my own one after every cvs
update?
2. I wrote a letter to every port maintainer picking their emails
directly from pkg-info, but got no answer. Was there a wrong style of
request? Maybe it's better to write to some maillists or use PR? There
are no patches needed to compile the new ports and there a no "stable"
and "unstable" versions of tardy and tpg, so there seems to be lack of
maintainer's care not the lack of maintainers time...
3. tardy maintainer is "ports@freebsd.org". Does it mean the port is
unmaintained?

--
George V Kouryachy (aka Fr. Br. George)