Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:45:30 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <37E88112.8545CFEF@softweyr.com> Wes Peters writes:
> : Interrupt, DMA, I/O settings, promiscuous operation, baud rate and parity,
> : etc.  Any little thing a device driver might desire...
>
> I had been specifically thinking of things more obscure like the
> WNETID for wavelan cards, the frequency ranges for the bktr cards, the
> frequency pattern for an ibm lan entry driver I never finished, the
> preferred media type for ethernet drivers, the calibrated frequency
> for clock boards/parts, the mixer settings from sound drivers, etc,
> etc, etc.
>
> These things are closely related to the more prosaic things like I/O
> range, IRQ, DRQ, etc.  I'm not sure that the differences between
> "configuration" data and other attributes not necessarily common to a
> bus are significant enough to warrant special treatment.  I gotta find
> some time to get into this more deeply.  Maybe after pccard has grown
> cardbus support :-).
>
> And the sysctl mechanism might not be a bad one to make persistant.
> However, there are some issues with having multiple instances of
> sysctls that would need to be generically solved at the same time.

I'm sure you can handle the easy stuff, now that I've done the genius
part.  ;^)

> There, the whole problem of the persistant parts of devfsd has been
> reduced to basically /etc/rc.sysctl which should make the "we don't
> need devfsd to do persitance" folks happy. :-)

Yup.  All we have to do is make the API modify the driver AND the database,
and load the database so the drivers can get at the info a boot time.  This
design work is kinda fun, I wonder if I can get somebody to pay me to do
it?  Nah, they always end up wanting me to write code (i.e. WORK) for a
living.