Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:24:23 -0800
From:      "Joseph Norris" <sirron@ns.mcoe.k12.ca.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   bash oddities - please explain

Hello group,

Very new to freebsd. I am coming from a Redhat Linux environment (please no
flames - notice I said that I am coming from). I have a user on the my
Feebsd box that using bash shell. One of the things that I really like about
bash is the ability to use the up arrow on my keyboard to go backward
through the command history and run commands that I have already typed in.
Bash on Freebsd does not appear to allow this or I have not configured it
properly to do so. Additionally bash on linux allowed me to complete a file
name by typing part of the file name and then press the tab key. Freebsd
bash does not or again I don't know what I am doing (which is most probably
the case).

Maybe Redhat does this for you already and therefore I have never had to
configure it. I would really like to have access to these features.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.