Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:59:46 -0800
From:      Peter Losher <plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57@plosh.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Forcing a da* numbering scheme.

--------------enig11D05F2BC2E982BCEE57FFE2

Hi -

What's the proper method these days for defining a static naming scheme
for direct access devices (da*)?

In this case, I have two systems (one 5.1 and one 6.0) connected to a
read-only RAID appliance (via FibreChannel) while having two SCSI disks
onboard for the OS and applications.  With the 5.4 system, the onboard
SCSI disks take up da{0,1} and the FibreChannel connected devices fall
behind it. With the 6.0 system it's the reverse, with the onboard disks
taking up the end of the line, which causes more than a little havoc w/
fstab when we add more read-only devices over FibreChannel and the boot
partition keeps moving because of it... :(

It used to be in the 4.x days you could define the da* in the kernel and
tie it to it's SCSI ID, is that still the case now, or is there some
boot-time variable in /boot/loader.conf that is now preferred?

-Peter
--=20
[ http://www.plosh.net/ ] - "Earth Halted: Please reboot to continue"