Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 12:59:23 +0300
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Udo Schweigert <Udo.Schweigert@siemens.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail/mutt-devel: regression in 1.5.12

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 05:47:17PM +0200, Udo Schweigert wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:05:58 +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > Since I upgraded mutt-devel from 1.5.11 to 1.5.12 moving through the
> > messages became hell slow.
> >=20
> > I use IMAP and when I open a folder and hold down ``j'' or down-arrow
> > the hilighted line starts to move downside very slow (just as if the
> > keyboard repeat rate is set up low). When it reaches 5th message I
> > release the ``j'' key and it goes by itself up to the 18th message.
> > I find this really annoying and it renders mutt almost unusable for me =
:/
> > I just installed 1.5.11 again and the hilighted line flies like an arrow
> > and stops as soon as I release ``j'', so the problem is definedly
> > between 1.5.11 and 1.5.12. More precisely the port from 16 Jul works
> > fine and the port from 20 Jul does not, see CVS logs:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/mail/mutt-devel/Makefile
> >=20
> > Any ideas?
>=20
> Vasil,
>=20
> my two cents:
>=20
> - I do not have those problems with IMAP, but
> - I know that the IMAP-code in mutt has been rewritten heavily.
>=20
> At the moment I don't have an idea to solve your problem. Which of the kn=
obs
> do you use (WITH_MUTT_XXX)?

WITH_MUTT_HTML and WITH_MUTT_SSL. In addition I have explicitly disabled
IDN support although I have ${LOCALBASE}/lib/libidn.so on my system but
that is subject for another thread.

> Have you tried the IMAP header cache?

No, but 1.5.11 works just fine without caching

This is what I discovered:

I have imap server listeing on SSL (993) and on plain (143) ports on
host `pop'.

In muttrc:
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports
mailboxes imap://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports

When I connect to the first one the problem mentioned above exists.

When I connect to the second one, although it is plain the server and
mutt negotiate TLS connection:

=2E..
CAPA
OK..CAPA..TOP..UIDL..RESP-CODES..PIPELINING..STLS..USER..SASL.PLAIN
STLS
OK.Begin.TLS.negotiation.now
=2E..

and the communication is encrypted again _but the problem is gone_

If I disable SSL support on the server side (so it does not give
CAPA STLS) the connection in plaintext and the problem is not present.

>=20
> [Please keep me on CC as I'm currently not subscribed to the ports-list d=
ue
> to vacation]

Happy vacation!

--=20
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--