Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:29:55 -0400
From:      "JoeB" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ghost to image bkup FBSD(SOLUTION)

For the archives

The question of using the Norton Ghost program to make an single flat
image file of an hard drives partition containing FBSD has been asked
many times on this list. UP until now the answer has all ways been that
the benefits of using Ghost on a MS/win partition can not be achieved
when used on a FBSD slice because the ghost created image file
contains all the unused space as well as the used space.

Jacob S. Barrett had the idea of zeroing out the unused space before
running ghost so ghost will compress all the zero filled space
resulting in an image file size and elapse run time comparable to what
you would achieve on a MS/win partition. This is a great work around.

Before running the Ghost program from native booted ms/dos you have
to run this command on FBSD before shutting FBSD down.

dd if=/dev/zero of=filler bs=1m ; rm filler

Below is the original thread

Yes I have tested it,  and it works great.  Be sure to turn compression
on to high to get the best results.  Here is what I saw after zeroing
the unallocated blocks using the dd command.

FreeBSD partition size: 11G
Allocated space: 6G
Ghost image size: 3.4G

Before zeroing out the images on this box were between 8-9G.  Needless
to say our IT guy is much happier that my box isn't chewing up 9G per
image on the system anymore.  And I am happy that imaging this machine
only takes an hour now rather than 4.

-Jake

--
Jacob S. Barrett