Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:17:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!zeta.org.au!bde, michaelh@cet.co.jp
Cc:        ponds!hub.freebsd.org!hackers, ponds!atrad.adelaide.edu.au!msmith
Subject:   Re: namei & hash functions

> On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:
>
> > The mask version is the original 4.4Lite version.  The prime version is
> > supposed to be a FreeBSD enhancement.  One would hope that whoever changed
> > it did extensive tests :-).
>
> Umm.  I didn't notice it in the logs.  Just curious how many integer mults
> by 33 equal a integer mod by a prime?
>
> Mike Hancock

 Well, hmm, let's see.

 A multiply by 33 becomes a shift-left 5 and an add.

 A mod by a prime is going to involve a division (there's not
much else you can do with a prime number...)  which will be
_considerably_ slower; possibly involving 32 shifts and as many
subtracts (although more likely around 16 or so.)

 So; my answer would be "lots"; around 16 or so.

	- Dave Rivers -