Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:04:54 -0600
From:      "Micheal Patterson" <micheal@tsgincorporated.com>
To:        "Geert Hendrickx" <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to build FreeBSD entirely from sources?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geert Hendrickx" <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 12:48 AM
Subject: How to build FreeBSD entirely from sources?

> Hello,
>
> "FreeBSD from Scratch" describes a method for REbuilding a FreeBSD system
> entirely from sources, starting from an existing FreeBSD system.
>
> But I want to build a new FreeBSD system on a machine currently NOT
> running FreeBSD.  How can I do this?
>
> I'm used to doing this with Gentoo Linux:
> With Gentoo, one extracts a "stage" tarball to the target partition, which
> contains gcc, glibc and some other binary programs, just enough to rebuild
> itself, using a "bootstrapping" script.  Then one does "emerge system"
> which fetches sources for the entire base system, compiles them and
> installs them.  After that, other applicantions can be installed with
> "emerge packagename" (comparable to Ports system).
>
> Can I install FreeBSD in a similar way?  Sysinstall only installs binary
> packages.
>
> I am new to FreeBSD but not to building stuff from sources (I've been
> using Gentoo Linux for quite a while now).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> GH

o Install from cd image and choose the package that includes all sources
(with or without X-Windows depending on if you want a gui or not).

o Synchronize your sources with cvs.

o make world.

All of the above is in the FreeBSD handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration