Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 09:14:48 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        Dennis Mathiasen <dennis@ny-utica5a-435.aburny.adelphia.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata & mitsumi CD

In message <200205071609.g47G9rSL003024@ny-utica5a-435.aburny.adelphia.net>,
  Dennis Mathiasen writes:

>Running 4.6-PRERELEASE, I can mount a cd ok, but when I try to copy a file fro
>m the cd I get:
>
>acd0: READ_BIG command timeout
>ata1: resetting devices
>
>and then:
>
>Fatal trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode...
>(etc.)
>and then a re-boot.

There have been several threads related to CD/DVD ROM problems and one
pr: i386/37420.  Each thread stopped after atacontrol was used to set
the drive into dma mode, so I guess this worked for their case.

However, since both pio and dma mode give the same error on my CDROM
drives I reverted to 4.5-RELEASE-p3 and watch the mailing list to to
see if anyone else has the problem and check cvsup to see if
sys/dev/ata is modified before I try -stable again on those systems.

4.5-RELEASE-p4 does not have any changes to atapi-cd.c so I would
expect that to work (I have not tested this yet).

>I have tried reverting to the wd driver and included mcd in the kernel,
>but mcd never shows up in dmesg output.  How can I (or can I) cause the
>use of this driver?

I don't know about this, but I am fairly sure that mcd is only for a
Mitsumi ISA interface card.

>mcd is for Mitsumi drives which apparently use a non-conforming ATAPI
>interface.  However, until now it has worked.  I'd sometimes get IO
>timeout messages, but nothing worse.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dennis Mathiasen
>dennisma@adelphia.net

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

---
Christopher Hall <hsw@generalresources.com>         Fax: +886-2-2795-3030
Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>                    Phone: +886-2-2795-5799