Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:22:50 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org, remko@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/99485: Disk IO Causes mplayer To Drop Frames

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:01:01 GMT
Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Synopsis: Disk IO Causes mplayer To Drop Frames
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-i386->freebsd-ports-bugs
> Responsible-Changed-By: remko
> Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Aug 22 09:59:51 UTC 2006
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Reassign this to the Ports team first; you will most likely recieve
> more feedback there then on the i386 PR queue.  Please port
> maintainers can you look (and perhaps report on this PR) whether you
> have the same problems or know people who have these problems as well?

It cpould be the long standing problem we have wrt. disk
access. It depends greatly on the chipset / HDD / channel / ...
combination used. I saw this with VIA and NForce4 chipsets. My KDE
freezes when copying files between ad6 and ad10 (both SATA) and not
when copying between any of them the the IDE disks. The standard answer
to this in the past has been "it's crappy hardware"; of course, it's
seems 90+ of (end-user) hardware out there is included in this
category; and it works OK with other OSes.

:-/

I have two suggestion that might help: increase the HZ for your
kernel and / or your rtc port (if you use it) and use the ULE scheduler.

I'd be curious to know if  copying the file via
rtprio 31 ... helps.

--
IOnut