Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 01:08:49 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

On 7/12/17 12:16 pm, Don Lewis wrote:
> On  6 Dec, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to propose the deprecation then removal of sendmail in base.
>>
>> Deprecation will happen in the form of FreeBSD 12.0 being built WITHOUT_SENDMAIL
>> by default
>>
>> removal would happen in FreeBSD 13.0
>>
>> sendmail in base it not really usable as a full featured mta due to the fact it
>> does not support anything an entreprised grade mta setup would require: ldap
>> support for example, check the number of options available in the sendmail port.
>>
>> Users for that use case would be better served by the port version of sendmail.
>>
>> The other kind of users are the one using the default setup of sendmail:
>> relaying emails externally and deliver locally.
> I've found that sendmail in base meets my needs.  I haven't had the need
> for any of the features that are only available in the port.
"me too".
How about you just leave it there until we have pkgbase by default and
then just swap it.
I have enough scripts and configs around that I don't want to revisit
to fix all this.
I hardly remember how they work.. They've been untouched except for
upgrades
for about a decade.

> It doesn't looks like dma(8) would be useful for me on my primary
> machines since I basically need its inverse.  It would only be useful
> on my headless machines to forward cron-generated mail to my mail
> server.  I don't do any local delivery of mail to mbox files.  My mail
> server delivers all mail to cyrus-imapd via lmtp, which is a fairly
> simple tweak to the sendmail.mc file.  I also have a couple of mail
> relays that do some smart routing and spam filtering.
>
> One thing that is comes with sendmail in base but is missing from the
> sendmail port is all the handy stuff in /etc/mail, such as the
> freebsd.mc template, the aliases file, and the Makefile which makes
> maintaining the config files and the .db files much easier.  Without
> this stuff, setting up the sendmail port would be much more
> intimidating.
amen
a sendmail-freebsd port maybe?