Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 07:01:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp (KATO Takenori)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic while clustered I/O

KATO Takenori said:
> Please help me.
>
> How to repeat:
> 	mount_union foo /usr/obj
> 	make world
>
> Workarround: disabling clustered I/O in ufs_readwrite.c :-(.

The VFS layering is being worked on aggressively right now.  Hopefully,
it will be more possible to fix the problem, after I get done with my
part of the layering issues.  PHK has started working on it, and I am
working on the VFS/VM interface.  Once we all get done with it, I think
that it will be much easier to debug these problems.

Note that the specific problem that you are seeing is likely partially due
to the problems with (lack of) resource reservation.  It appears that
you are running out of bounce-buffers (obvious.)  Even if you get rid
of the use of bounces, there will still likely eventually be problems.

Note that it appears that clustering is putting to much pressure on
the bounce buffer code.  You *might* try increasing the size of the
bounce space, and see if things work better.

Also, Justin is working on the new FreeBSD bus mgmt code.  That also might
be a component of a "real" fix.