Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 02:17:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [was/is: adding 2nd disk] little changes to sysinstall/Makefile

Andreas Klemm writes:

> Another thing is, I had to manually change the disk geometry
> to 255/63 scheme. My first disk is so large (4GB) so that
> 64/32 head/sector mapping isn't sufficiant.

I didn't have any trouble with this .. 4101/64/32 worked just fine for a
Quantum Atlas on a 2842 although trying to boot off it caused -stable to
panic on a 1542B with pre >1gig BIOS/u-code support. This seemed to have
something in common with the recently noted mailbox problems .. the 1542
wouldn't .. absolutely refused to read block 400 and hung at any attempt to
do so .. fsck included.

To get it running at all, I ended up booting an install disk, going to the
fixit floppy, using vi to type in a version of disktab to match the drive in
question, fdisk, disklabel, newfs ..

It felt like I was typing in a boot loader with CP/M's DDT in the late '70s,

	michael