Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:00:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc -shared as substitute for ld -Bshareable?

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I've been working with some large software packages which seem
> to assume that ``gcc -shared ..objs.. -o outfile'' is equivalent
> to our more familiar ``ld -Bshareable ..objs.. -o outfile'', but
> the former doesn't work under FreeBSD - a full link is attempted.
>
> Examining these build files, it really does look like Linux and SunOS
> gcc supports -shared flag handling semantics rather different than
> ours.  Any reason we should be gratuitously different?  Shall I file a
> PR against this, or is it someone's idea of a feature? :-)

I'm going to reply to this, and to your question about the GOT relocation
messages.

Yes, I can't see any reason not to support -shared.  It won't break
anything going in, and it'll ease porting, since other Unix software
authors expect it to work (from the gcc docs).

I hit that same trouble with the GOT relocation blurbs, in connection with
global visibility of virtual tables of templated functions, WRT to Octave.
JDP and I discussed it, but couldn't locate the source of it then.  It
didn't have any effect outside of things I expected to find as "T" symbols
coming up as "t" symbols.  I programmed around it, unfortunately, which
wasn't a very satisfying answer.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |